Articles Available Online
Click on an article title to read the article.
I. Particular Hebrew Words and Phrases
- אהב: What is the Meaning of Love?
- אילת: What is the Meaning of Ayelet HaShachar (Ps. 22:1)?
- אמר: Insights into the Root א־מ־ר (=To Say)
- אמרי שפר: The Blessing to Naftali
- גזר: Insights into the Root ג־ז־ר
- הלל: The Multiple Meanings of the Rot ה–ל–ל
- הסתכל: What is the Meaning of הסתכל? (forthcoming)
- ויחל: What is the Meaning of “Va-Yechal Moshe et Pnei…” (Ex. 32:11)
- חידה: The Riddle of the Word Riddle
- חמד: What is the Difference Between Lo Tachmod and Lo Titaveh?
- כהן: Insights Into the Word כהן
- מורת רוח: What is the Meaning of מורת רוח (Gen. 26:35)?
- מכתם: What is the Meaning of מכתם?
- מנחה: What is the Meaning of מנחה?
- מסכנות and מס: What are the Meanings of מסכנות and מס?
- מצרים: What is the Meaning of מצרים?
- מקלט: What is the Meaning of מקלט?
- משׁפחה: Is There a Connection Between משׁפחה and שׁפחה?
- מת: What is the Meaning of Death? (forthcoming)
- נס: Insights into the Word נס (Sign, Miracle)
- נער: The Meanings of נער ,כרך and מסקנה (forthcoming)
- נפשׁ: What is the Meaning of וינפשׁ?
- נצח: The Meaning of נצח
- נשׁק: The Two Meanings of נשׁק
- סלה: What is the Meaning of סלה?
- סנורים: What is the Meaning of סנורים?
- עבר: Insights into the Biblical Root ע–ב–ר
- פוג: What Happened to Jacob’s Heart? (Gen: 45:26: לבו ויפג)
- פלל: What is the Meaning of התפלל?
- קדשׁ: What is the Meaning of kadosh and kedushah?
- קדשׁה: What is the Meaning of kedeshah?
- קרע: Kriyat Yam Suf: Why Not Bekiyat Yam Suf?
- שׁבט and מטה: The Words for “Stick” in Tanach
- שׁוטרים: The Meanings of שׁוטרים ,פרס and ככר
- תירושׁ: The Origin of the Words Tirosh and Yayin
II. Other Word-Related Articles
- Interesting Words in Hallel
- Interesting Words in the Megillah, Part I
- Interesting Words in the Megillah, Part II
- Interesting Words in the Megillah, Part III
- Words with the Same Root Letters: Must They Be Related?
- Guide to Writing a Biblical Concordance
- Foreign Words in Tanakh
III. Liturgy Articles
- What is the Meaning of Sekhvi in the First Morning Blessing?
- Arami Oved Avi: The Interpretation Hidden in the Mishnah
- Who Authored U-Netanneh Tokef?
- Aleinu: A Rosh Ha-Shanah Prayer That Migrated into the Daily Service
- Two Siddur Manuscripts With Daily Aleinu from the Early and Late 12th century
- “If I Forget You Jerusalem…” (Psalms 137:5)
- What is the Meaning of Ashrei Ha-Am Yodei Teruah (Ps. 89:16)?
- The “Shalom Aleichem” Prayer
IV. History Articles
- The Order of the Letters in the Hebrew Alphabet
- Why Was Moses Commanded to Remove His Shoes at the Burning Bush?
- The Meaning of the Cryptic Verse at Ex. 2:23 (The king of Egypt died…)
- Did the Israelites Borrow from the Egyptians at the Time of the Exodus?
- Insights into the Plague of Dever
- History of Acco
- The Distinction between Neviim and Ketuvim, and Insights into the Canon
- The Story of the Initial Dead Sea Scroll Finds – Part I
- The Story of the Initial Dead Sea Scroll Finds – Part II
- When Did We First Use Gematria?
- The Story of Masada: A Reevaluation
- The Earliest Surviving Texts of the Torah
- Rashi: Insights Into His Life and Works
- Was Rashi Motivated by Non-Exegetical Factors in his Torah Commentary?
- A Letter by Rambam About the Death of his Brother David
- A Letter by Rambam to the Rabbis of Lunel
- Two Interesting Letters by Rambam
- A Letter by Rambam to a Simple Jew
- Letters from Rabbi Ovadia of Bertinuro, Part I
- Letters from Rabbi Ovadia of Bertinuro, Part II
- 1827: Russia Begins to Draft its Jews
- The Biblical Commentary of S.D. Luzzatto (19th century, Italy)
- The “Language Conflict” in Israel in 1914
- Nehama Leibowitz: The Early Years
- Kurdish Jewry
- Bukharan Jewry
- A Story from 1948 About Harry Truman and Israel
- Hebraization of Names in Modern Israel
- The Original Logo of the Israel Postal Company and Gen. 49:21 (“Ayalah Sheluchah”)
- Biography of Yigael Yadin
Articles Available in Books
(2015, Kodesh Press, eleven long and detailed articles)
- לתכן עולם: Establishing the Correct Text in Aleinu*
- What is the Origin of the Word מחילה?**
- אני והו: What is the Meaning of this Cryptic Mishnaic Statement?
- What is the Meaning of “Maccabee”?*
- What is the Meaning of Ḥashmonai?*
- What Motivated Antiochus to Issue His Decrees against the Jews?
- The Origin of Taanit Esther*
- Achashverosh and Esther in Secular Sources
- Mah Nishtannah: The Three Questions*
- Arami Oved Avi: Uncovering the Interpretation Hidden in the Mishnah**
- The Pe/Ayin Order in Ancient Israel and its Implications for the book of Tehillim
* Earlier versions of these articles are also available on seforim.blogspot.com (L’taken Olam: Sept. 2013; Maccabee: Dec. 2011; Hashmonai: Nov. 2013; Taanit Esther: Mar. 2011; Mah Nishtannah: Mar. 2010)
** Also available at Hakirah.org (Mechilah: Vol. 18; Arami Oved Avi: Vol. 13 – earlier version).
Roots and Rituals
(2018, Kodesh Press, sixty-two short articles)
Part I: Jewish Liturgy
- Insights into the History of the Haftarah
- The Blessing “Who Has Not Made Me A Woman”
- The Origin of the Recital of Shema in the Kedushah of Musaf
- Aleinu: A Rosh Hashanah Prayer that Migrated into the Daily Service
- An Insight into Kri’at Shema Al Ha-Mitah
- The Origin of Our Prayer for the Government (Ha-Noten Teshuah)
- An Insight into the Text of Birkat Ha-Mazon: הקדושה or הגדושה?
- When Did Mizmor Shir Chanukkat Ha-Bayit Le-David Enter the Daily Shacharit?
Part II: Jewish History
- The Longevity of the Ancients Recorded in Genesis
- Did Moses Have a Speech Impediment?
- Fifty-Three Biblical Personalities Confirmed by Archaeology
- Nevuchadnezzar or Nevuchadrezzar?
- Archaeology Sheds Light on King Darius
- The Most Important Dead Sea Text: A Lost Paragraph from the Book of Samuel!
- A Decree by the Roman Emperor Justinian Interfering with the Synagogue Service
- The Fast Days of Megillat Taanit Batra
- Abraham Ibn Ezra: His Unique Life and Some Lessons We Can Learn
- The Story of the Pentateuch of Rabbi Dr. J. H. Hertz
Part III: Hebrew Language
(A) Particular Hebrew Words and Phrases
- ברית: What is the Origin of the Word ברית (=Covenant)?
- הפקר: A Column About Nothing: What is the Origin of the Word הפקר?
- זכר: Males and Memory: The Meanings of the Root זכר
- חבל :חבלי מות Have Encircled Me (Psalms 116:3)
- חלום: What is the Origin of the Word חלום (=Dream)?
- חלץ: The Root חלץ and the Meaning of החליצנו in the Birkat Ha-Mazon of Shabbat
- חתן: What is the Origin of the Words חתן and כלה?
- יובל: What is the Meaning of the Word יובל?
- כסף: What is the Meaning of the Word כסף?
- לחם: לחם and מלחמה: Is There a Connection?
- מדבר: What is the Origin of the Word מדבר (=Desert)?
- משׁתאה: What is the Meaning of the Word משׁתאה (Genesis 24:21)?
- נביא: What is the Origin of the Word נביא?
- עולם: What is the Meaning of the Word עולם?
- על–מות: What is the Meaning of על–מות (Psalms 48:15)?
- ערב (erev): What is the Origin of the Words ערב and בקר?
- ערב (arov): John Lennon and the Plague of ערב (Arov)
- ק-ל-ס : A Root with Two Opposite Meanings?
- רכב בערבות: What is the Meaning of רכב בערבות (Psalms 68:5)?
- שׁאול: What is the Origin of the Word שׁאול (=Netherworld)?
- שׁנה: The Multiple Meanings of the Word שׁנה
- שׁנן: The Various Possible Meanings of ושננתם לבנך
- שׂרף: What are the שׂרפים of Isaiah Chapter 6?
(B) General Articles About the Language of Tanakh
- Words that Appear Only One Time in Tanakh
- Original Shin and Original Sin
- Some Interesting Words in Parashat Miketz
- Some Interesting Words in Oz Yashir
- Some Interesting Words in the Daily Amidah
- Searching for Omitted Nuns
- Wordplay in Tanakh
- Akkadian Words in Tanakh
- Egyptian Words in Tanakh
Part IV: Jewish Holidays and the Calendar
- The Origin of the Jewish Count from Creation
- What is the Meaning of Yom Teruah?
- Some Interesting High Holiday Words
- Hanukkah: A Survey of the Ancient Sources
- The Meaning of the Name “Maccabee”
- Dec. 4 and Tein Tal U-Matar: Some Insights into the Calendar
- Yes, We Can Identify Achashverosh and Esther in Secular Sources!
- Two Books to Read for Purim
- והגדת לבנך (Exodus 13:8): What is the Meaning of והגדת?
- Some Interesting Words of the Seder (Seder, Cherut, Karpas, Matzah, Maror, Chasal, Sippur, and Hesebah)
- Mah Nishtanah: The Three Questions
- ארמי אבד אבי: Uncovering the Interpretation Hidden in the Mishnah